Sunday 29 October 2017

The Unseen Pimple

Here's something none of you will have seen before. My original Pete and His Pimple artwork for the cover to Oink! No.53, from back in 1988. To be more specific, this is my first version, which I abandoned unfinished (as you can see) before redrawing it as the published version seen below.

The reason I rejected my first version was because I didn't feel the captions looked right. The idea was that Pete's Pimple flared up so quickly that it knocked the captions and logo aside, but I felt that my original version made it look like the captions were stuck onto the pimple. 

Anyway, I thought you'd like to see it, as a curio of the past and a look at what my pencils and inks looked like back then. 

3 comments:

Peter Gray said...

Always nice to see rejected art...thought processes..

PhilEdBoyce said...

Thanks for sharing this Lew, always love seeing works in progress from Oink!.

Lew Stringer said...

Thanks, Phil, and Peter.