Friday 15 May 2015

Monster Fun!


Although IPC's Monster Fun Comic didn't last long (1975 to 1976) the company kept the title to use in the Buster and Monster Fun Holiday Special. This was an extra publication to the regular Buster Holiday Special. I'm not sure how many there were but it was still being published in 1990 when I was asked to contribute.

Here are my pages from the 1990 edition. I was pleased with how the Tom Thug in Monsterland story turned out and it's still one of my personal favourites. Putting Tom into a fantasy scenario went against the usual theme of the strip but I got around it by having him enter the 'Monster Fun Zone' which was free of the more grounded aspects of Bustertown. Script, art, colours by me, lettering by Mike Peters. And yes, that's Grimly Feendish on the second page. I couldn't resist the chance to include one of my favourite characters from Wham! and Smash!

The other story I had in that special was The Vampire Brats meet Doctor Prankenstein. I enjoyed doing this one too. Script and art by me, lettering by Jack Potter. As always, click on the images to see them full size.



2 comments:

Peter Gray said...

Love the imagination...loved the Tom Thug monster land...and the zany monsters..
Fleetway are great at horror comics...

Lew Stringer said...

Thanks Peter. I still get the chance to do stuff like this today with Team Toxic in Toxic mag. Kids love monsters.