Friday 25 April 2014

Mini Marvels

One of my most enjoyable gigs was being commissioned by Panini UK in 2006 to write/draw new Mini Marvels when they'd reprinted all of Chris Giarruso's strips in Rampage. I only did a few before Rampage was revamped, then cancelled, but I was then asked to do a second run in 2008 for the Spectacular Spider-Man comic.

I showed a few on this blog last year, and here's another one above, pencil rough and finished inked art. I had to 'ghost' Chris' chubby character style to an extent, but it was still fun to be drawing Spider-Man for Marvel! 

And, seen for the first time, here's one that didn't get approved, so I didn't draw it beyond the pencil rough stage...



5 comments:

Peter Gray said...

Somtimes the poes in the pencil sketch are better...But of course more detail in the inking...like the Spider-man gag...

Lew Stringer said...

I presume that's a typo and you meant 'poses', Peter. No poes in this strip. :)

Peter Gray said...

I su-poses you think thats funny..;0)

Tiniebras said...

I love these strips, and I feel that you were the perfect pick for them. They have that same spirit of gently mocking the characters that Combat Colin or Robo Capers did.

Lew Stringer said...

Thanks. To be fair, I was following in the footsteps of the previous artist on these but I hope I brought a bit of my own humour to it as well. It's a shame I couldn't do more, but now Disney own Marvel they've put the block on any origination in the UK.